BHSc in Nursing at Institute of Health Sciences promotes the development of nursing as a caring, client-centered and scientifically-based profession, with an emphasis on problem-based & self-directed learning, lectures, tutorials, expert forums and group discussions, which are all facilitated by an experienced team of both lecturers from the Institute as well as the in-services nurses, clinicians and other healthcare professionals of the Ministry of Health. The programme provides a general education in nursing for the preparation of professional nurses to perform a variety of tasks in different healthcare settings. There is also a focus on the management of patient care and development of leadership skills for promoting high standards of nursing care in both the theoretical and clinical components.
In the third year of study, i.e. semester 5 and 6, potential students participate in the Discovery Year (DY) or Study Abroad Programme (SAP) to broaden their knowledge and gain invaluable experience in a real world work setting. The academic rigour of the programme is continuously maintained and reviewed through a collaborative effort with overseas partner nursing universities.
The BHSc Nursing programme offers prospective students with a wide range of opportunities in general nursing and educational growth. It could also enhance admission into the job market or be used to apply into educational programmes at local and overseas universities and colleges.
The BHSc degree in Midwifery at IHS aims to produce the next generation of graduates who are innovative, creative and eager to undertake the challenges of the dynamic evolution of midwifery practice, alongside meeting rapid changes in midwifery education, in order to be able to assume responsibility in providing quality midwifery care to childbearing women and their families in an everchanging society.
This programme will provide graduates with a marketable, employable edge in local healthcare institutions and abroad. The employability into the latter is strengthened through DY in which students have the opportunity to study abroad, in addition to obtaining internship in various local settings in hospitals or the community. Breadth modules offered from within and outside the faculty will confer graduates with transferable skills to enable graduates to select from a broader choice of future careers.
IHS Midwifery programme will instill leadership skills in graduates so that they could seek and implement new changes according to the current and local needs to improve the healthcare service, and at the same time, lead the profession on an equal standing with other healthcare professionals in healthcare research, education and practice at national and regional levels.
- Academic Requirements
- A minimum of 220 A-Level points (A=120, B=100 and C=80) for 3 A-Level passes from biology, chemistry, mathematics or physics (other subjects may be considered on a case by case basis) OR an internationally recognised degree of upper second or first class honours in a relevant discipline from UBD or any other universities recognised by the University Senate OR an International Baccalaureate minimum score of 26 points (including a minimum of 5, 5, 4 points in relevant subjects at higher level; accepted subjects will be assessed on a case by case basis)
- OR a Diploma in Nursing or Midwifery with or without Post Basic or Advanced Diploma in Nursing or Midwifery specialty (similar qualification with at least 3 years working experience in respective field may be considered on a case by case basis)
For these cases, applicants may apply for credit transfer which shall be subjected to the standing regulations and procedures for credit transfer of UBD PAPRSB Institute of Health Sciences.
For those with Diploma in Nursing or Midwifery without working experience, no credit transfer will be granted. Also, at least 3 merits of passes with credits are required in the second and third year of the Diploma with NO repeat module.
- OR a recognised Higher National Diploma in Sciences or National Diploma in Sciences or its equivalent with a minimum of 5 merits in related subjects (accepted subjects will be assessed on a case by case basis)
- Have demonstrated proficiency in the English language to either a credit 6 in English language at GCE O-Level examination OR a grade 'C' in IGCSE English OR a TOEFL score of 550 OR an IELTS score of 6.0
- Multiple Mini-Interview (MMI)
- Applicants, who meet the academic requirement, will also have to perform to a satisfactory standard in a multiple mini-interview (MMI).
- Medical Fitness
- Must be medically certified as fit for prescribed medical fitness examination